lovey dovey

I love my family!

I am a wife, mother of three beautiful boys, and a middle school administrator. At times, I have mistakenly tried to achieve perfection in each role. These attempts always fail miserably because there is no such thing as a perfect wife, a perfect mom or a perfect worker! I decided to relinquished my pursuit of perfection…I can say without guilt that my shortcomings are vast and my mistakes many. Embracing my imperfections and turning my life over to God has been freeing and led to a sweeter life. I found that when I quit trying so hard, that SOMETIMES things magically fall into place and for brief moments I am “Supermom.”







Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cannon's Football Table

Usually every Christmas, I have a crazy idea to make something for the boys.  It is always some grand plan that ends up with me staying up into the wee hours of the morning the night before Christmas.  This year, I decided to make Cannon a Football Table.  Essentially, it is a tall coffee table that is painted like a football field where he can play with his little plastic football men that Santa brought him.  Good job Santa on bringing football men...how did you ever know I was making a table? 

Cannon had really gotten into football this year with his dad as a football coach and his team doing so well, he was most excited.  For the playoffs, Cannon had to wear a full football suit, complete with football pants, jersey, helmet and eye black!  He was so cute...I think he was the lucky charm that made the team do so well.  :) 


If you want to build a table, you will need these supplies/tools:  drill, frog tape, wood screws, paint, tape measure, three 1x4s, a two foot by four foot board, and table legs at the desired height.

I'm such a cheap scape, that I could not spend the $30 at Lowe's for legs.  So, I went out thrifting and found an end table for $10 at 50% off!  So I got the legs for $5.  I took the legs off the end table and rubbed a little stain on them to hid some of the wear and tear.  They worked perfectly.

The board was salvaged from our train table that bit the dust.  The train table had two green boards that were 2 feet by four feet each.  I haven't decided what to make with the other on yet.  Maybe I'll make another football table and put it on Etsy.

The first thing I did was screw the one by fours on each side of the green board, leaving about a half inch lip on the top so the football men wouldn't fall off.  I had Lowe's cut one of the one by fours in half for the short ends of the table and then screwed them on.  It is a very simple way to do it, and could be done a lot better with some molding and such, but I just wanted a basic look.  Then I screwed the legs into the sides of the table.  This served to be quite a challenge since there was a wooden dowel in the center of the legs.  I broke a couple of screws, but finally got them in place.


Once the sides and legs were on the table, it was time to paint.  I can't say enough how much I love Frog Tape!  I've used the blue painter's tape in the past on various projects and always had bleed through.  The Frog Tape was near perfection. 

This is Parker wanting to help me paint. 

Jaron's brother Timothy, the boys uncle, stayed up until 2 a.m. with me one night helping me paint the football field on the table.  I thought I was a perfectionist, well Timothy is worse than me.  He taped and re taped until each line was perfectly straight.  Without his help, I would have stayed up all night that night and the following night for sure!

The board was four feet long, so it was simple to divide the field up every four inches which gave room for two end zones, and shrunken down version of the the 100 yards on a field. 


I used stickers in the end zones.  On Christmas Eve night, I started to paint the numbers on the field, but my stencils weren't working to my satisfaction.  I decided to wait and put numbers on later, rather than mess it up.

Here is the table with the football guys all in place.  The plastic men are called "Football Guys" and can be found at www.kaskeykids.com. 

The table was ready waiting by the other presents Christmas morning.  Santa put the players all in place for Cannon. 

Cannon loved it!  He has had to fight his little brother for it though.  Parker can't keep his hands off of it and tries to steal Cannon's football guys. 

Cannon at Cowboy Stadium in his jersey and eye black, days before Christmas at his dad's team's game at the State Playoffs.  I know it won't be long until Cannon is on the field himself...Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment