lovey dovey

I love my family!

I am a wife, mother of three beautiful boys, and a middle school administrator. At times, I have mistakenly tried to achieve perfection in each role. These attempts always fail miserably because there is no such thing as a perfect wife, a perfect mom or a perfect worker! I decided to relinquished my pursuit of perfection…I can say without guilt that my shortcomings are vast and my mistakes many. Embracing my imperfections and turning my life over to God has been freeing and led to a sweeter life. I found that when I quit trying so hard, that SOMETIMES things magically fall into place and for brief moments I am “Supermom.”







Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Friendly Village finds a new home


I was most surprised this Christmas to receive a set of The Friendly Village china!  My step dad, Paul, gave them to me.  Several years ago, I found a Friendly Village plate at a thrift store and loved the pattern.  I purchased it and placed it on display in my dining room.  Paul saw it and asked me where I had gotten it.  He then told me that he had the whole set and that it had belonged to his grandmother.  Paul said he remembers it being used on Thanksgiving and Christmas at his grandmothers.

Needless to say, I was very touched to receive a present that had been in his family for so many years.  We will continue the tradition of using it with our family every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  One day, I will enjoy passing it on to one of my daughter-in-laws and telling her the story of the china.  Thanks, Paul!

The really neat thing about The Friendly Village set is that each plate has a different winter scene, including The Lily Pond, The School House, The Well, The Old Mill, The Village Street, Willow by the Brook, The Covered Bridge, The Village Green, and Autumn Mists.  I have a setting for nine, including dinner plates, saucers and teacups, and several serving pieces and a large platter.  I have enjoyed looking for additional pieces on Ebay recently and can't wait to add to my new collection. 

The table with the new china at Christmas dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment